czwartek, 21 sierpnia 2008

Africa - Tsotsi and Hotel Rwanda


I was talking to my friend from work today, and we had this pretty long conversation about Katyn, Sarah Silverman and her 'tuney' songs about f*** Matt Damon (check it out on youtubehttp://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=WLG3S5WzHig ;) ), and the fine line between blasphemy and a bad religous joke.

Anyway, he told me about an interesting movie called Tsotsi (director: Gavin Hood) and promised to tell me what the word meant, but never did. I'm guessing it's a vulgar expression for 'Thug'. The Film: Gavin Hood takes us to Johnnesburg, South Africa (RPA) and introduces viewers to a violent teen - Tsotsi- who does atrocious things (I'm not yet sure what, exactly). He eventually hijacks a car, kills the woman in it, and his life would take its normal pace... but here's the catch - after a while the killer realises that there's a child in the back seat.

So that's one I want to see.


Yesterday, I saw Hotel Rwanda. It made an impression on me. It also made me feel as though I were unaware of what was going on in the world. I was also very thankful of my life.

Here's the plot. I'm copying it off of IMDb

Ten years ago [the movie came out in 2004, so now it's more like 14 years ago] some of the worst atrocities in the history of mankind took place in the country of Rwanda--and in an era of high-speed communication and round the clock news, the events went almost unnoticed by the rest of the world. In only three months, one million people were brutally murdered. In the face of these unspeakable actions, inspired by his love for his family, an ordinary man summons extraordinary courage to save the lives of over a thousand helpless refugees, by granting them shelter in the hotel he manages. Written by Sujit R. Varma

Brak komentarzy: